This blog provides information about Public Health in Croatia, facilitated by one Public Health graduate student and one Honors undergraduate student from the University of Georgia. There are 19 undergraduate and graduate students along with three UGA faculty members traveling together on this educational journey. The three week program covers Public Health issues of importance in Croatia as the group travels among the various regions of the country.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Thursday, May 19th ~ Zagreb, Croatia


Welcome to the 2011 University of Georgia Croatia Study Abroad blog! The purpose of this blog is to share our experiences during this study abroad program, which is focused on public health, with our colleagues, friends and family. The blog includes entries from three Health Promotion and Behavior students in the College of Public Health; Andrea (Andie) Brace, Morgan Kammer, and Katherine Parke. Each day one of us will reflect on the events of the day, specifically examining the impact of public health in Croatia. Please enjoy!

Andie


Today is the first day all of the students and faculty came together in Zagreb. I arrived via train with two other students in the late morning, and we walked to the hotel from the train station. Along the 25 minute walk, I noticed that Croatia is quite different from the United States in multiple ways. First and foremost the architecture is amazing, grand, and historical. Every building looks different and has character, unlike much of the architecture in the U.S.  Second, there is heavy traffic from every direction, including other pedestrians, cars, busses and trams. We were warned before our departure not to walk out into the street, which is customary on the University of Georgia campus, as the cars and the trams in Zagreb will not stop. It can feel a bit overwhelming to stand on a street corner with vehicles coming from every direction and other pedestrians pushing past you when you are unfamiliar with the route to the hotel. Additionally, the roads and sidewalks are smattered with pot holes, missing gas line covers and tram tracks, so it is necessary to pay attention to where you walk as it is very easy to trip or turn and ankle (see the attached photo). Finally, one last observation about the differences between Zagreb and the U.S. is that smoking is prevalent. I saw people smoking in the train station, in the hotel, in the restaurant, and frequently while walking down the street. I have become accustomed to smoke-free environments in Athens, so this is a hard adjustment for me as I am sure it is for other students.

Once we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by Dr. Cotton and we checked into our rooms. Other students arrived throughout the afternoon. We all convened in the hotel lobby so we could walk as a group to dinner (see photo above). We were introduced to the teaching assistants and other members of the group and also given a brief orientation to the itinerary for the next couple of days. Dinner included local dishes and was quite delicious. We were able to use this time to meet the other students and taste some of the specialties of the region. It was a nice and relaxing start to what I am sure will be a wonderful experience.

Morgan   
Well the first and foremost public health issue (or it may be just a personal quandary) on my mind tonight is the detrimental effect of jetlag on the human body. Sitting here on top floor of Hotel Jadran, in the heart of downtown Zagreb, I am reeling by the fact that a mere twenty-four hours ago I was boarding a plane at Hartsfield Jackson International Airport in Atlanta.  Not only have I barely slept more than thirty minutes at a time, but I think my dietary schedule has been incredibly bizarre. How do people function after this kind of travel? I feel like I may never function on a human level again.

Okay, now that I have complained about how confused my body is and how much it hates me…WE ARE HERE! Everyone arrived in Zagreb by about 3 pm Croatia time and for me, I feel like I am in a different world. Having never traveled outside of the States, it is somewhat mind-boggling to witness the stark contrast of not only American culture and Croatian culture, but also my expectations of what I expected and what it is.

Feeling adventurous, and wide awake, I opted to travel into downtown Zagreb from the airport via tram.  Not only was this the biggest mistake of my travels, taking just under three hours and a three kilometer walk to arrive at our hotel, but it was where I was first exposed to the remarkable prevalence of smoking in Croatia. Although I am almost certain that there were no smoking signs up (I will be sure to check next time I am on a tram!), there were two men and woman smoking cigarettes in the cabin. I was interesting to note, and later confirm in research, the high rates of smoking this country, as well as the subsequent gender disparity with this habit. It is obvious from walking the streets, more men smoke than women. I am interested to find out more about the cultural influence on these behaviors and the unbalanced spread.

Well my body is officially shutting down now. I guess this is do videnja for now!





Katherine 

Traveling from Atlanta, GA to Croatia has been an interesting experience. I have had opportunities to travel abroad before but I always underestimate the stress traveling can put on the body. It is hard to give into that when I am so excited to be in this wonderful country! Nine of us traveled together from Atlanta to Croatia and it was a great opportunity to meet people who would share this experience with me. It also made traveling a lot more fun and less scary. We definitely stood out as Americans once we arrived in Amsterdam where we had our lay over. I guess we speak louder, laugh louder, and sound very different! Standing out like that will take some time to get used to.


Once we arrived in Croatia we were met by Dr. Reap who was so generous in helping us figure out cabs to get to the hotel. I am pretty sure we would have been a little lost in how to get that accomplished without him. After getting settled and washed up, the group all went out to this amazing dinner. It was our first night together and it was wonderful way to kick off this adventure. We had a wonderful traditional Croatian meal of cheese pastry, salad, veal, and a delicious desert. It definitely hit the spot and will help me sleep well tonight!

The first thing that I noticed when we walked out of the airport was the smell of cigarette smoke. It really hits you as soon as you get outside. I do not know why, but I was not expecting that at allIt is very apparent that this will be a general theme in our travels throughout the Croatia. That also will take some getting used to. When we were in the cab driving around and entering the city, I saw these beautiful buildings that have been covered with graffiti. It is extremely overwhelming to see and it is hard to make sense of these actions. I know we will learn more about that later on. The last thing that I noticed in my first day in Croatia was how hospitable the Croatian people are to their guests. They have been so warm and welcoming to us and I am thankful for their open arms. 

I look forward to writing more about our experiences here in Croatia and giving insight to the affect public health has on this country. 

1 comment:

  1. dlpa - Good information and posting contain the most suggestible and informative. Nice posting and helpful info. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete